Saturday, 2 August 2014

Comments on the PIMCO report for Cyprus

Since the PIMCO report on the Banking System of Cyprus became public information, I've actually noticed much less comments regarding it than when it was still considered confidential. The reason might simply be that it is always much more difficult to speculate on something which is available to everyone than something which is supposed to be a secret. Thus, given the lack of comments on the subject, what follows is my take on the report.

The first thing you notice in the report is that PIMCO did an excellent job in identifying the major features of the Cyprus banking system. The most important of these features are:

1. The prevalence of asset-based lending practices
In essence, Cypriot banks lent out money only if you had some strong collateral to back your loan (in most cases real estate), with less attention given to whether the client had the ability to actually meet payments. If the borrowers got into trouble, they could always sell their property to repay their loans; as real estate prices increased for a very long time, this practice rarely yielded losses for the banks. Most importantly, borrowers who were not able to repay could always pledge more collateral and actually increase the amount of they borrowed.

2. Extended foreclosure and legal resolution timeline
Simply put, if a borrower could not repay his loan, then the whole procedure of obtaining the collateral and making a forced sale of the property ranged between 10 to 12 years. Add this to the previous feature and the reader may easily see that a borrower had no difficulty in pledging more collateral and obtaining more credit as there is almost zero downside on his part. This in its turn artificially increases loans and leads to the concentration of bad loans to few people (see land developers, hoteliers, etc).

3. Different provisioning methodology, impairment recognition and interest income practices
Notably, a fully-secured loan was not considered a non-performing one which makes the value of NPLs depend on the (subjective) valuation of the collateral. In addition, unpaid interest income was also considered to be income as a result of the historically appreciating property prices which made the probability of future losses very few (as also discussed in feature 1).

In addition to these, a high reliance on the the international banking operations for income and non-residents for funding was also reported. These features resulted in high cure rates for NPLs as well as high re-default rates (since extra collateral means a "cured" NPL but does not mean that the borrower's ability to repay has increased) and subsequently in high probabilities of borrower default but low loss-given-default rates due to over-collateralization.

The methodology of the exercise, will not be the subject of this article, yet, just simply comment that even though there has been much speculation, PIMCO does not appear to do anything different than standard procedure. The same holds for the base scenario which does not appear unrealistic given the European Commission (EC) forecast in Autumn 2012. Actually, compared to the -2.3%, -1.7% and -0.7% EC forecast for 2013, 2014 and 2015 respectively, the -3%, -0.6% and 0.8% is cumulatively much rosier. The same holds for the unemployment rate forecast.

The finding which most strikes out in the report is that Cyprus banks were unable to meet their capital needs even in the base scenario. In fact, not only would they need additional capital to meet regulatory needs but they would also end up with negative capital in 2015, making an additional case against the validity of the EBA stress test exercises in 2011. Again, I note that this is simply the base scenario. In the adverse scenario, the capital needs increase by more than 3 billion euros for the whole system.

The PIMCO numbers are supposedly the ones on which the decision on the percentage of the deposits haircut of the Bank of Cyprus  relied on. The 3.9 billion shortfall for the bank was very close to the 3.8bn obtained from the haircut. The problem, however, lies somewhere else: as stated in page 8 of the report "Greek loans represented approximately 40% of the defaulted balances. Moreover, in the adverse scenario [..] Greek loans represent 43% of total expected losses on Cyprus and Greek loans". In numbers, out of the total of 6.6 billion expected losses on loans and advances, around 2.8bn were from Greece. For those who have forgotten, MoU in March 2013 also included the forced sale of the banks' subsidiaries in Greece. This means that the banks were cut off from any potential losses in Greece thus lowering their capital needs. Even if we round the number of the PIMCO report to 2bn euros, the capital needs in the adverse scenario reduce to about 1.9 bn, without even taking into account the reduction in risk-weighted-assets which would further decrease needs.

Hence, the question which arises from the PIMCO report is: since the forecasts were made using the Greek branches as well, why was the amount employed in the haircut the same? In fact, since the Bank of Cyprus actually required a further re-capitalisation of close to 1 bn a few days ago, how low have the PIMCO estimates been? The only major difference which could make the actual outcome worse than the predicted is the fact that unemployment was 16% in 2013 rather than 13.8% in the forecast, while the house price forecast was much more pessimistic than the actual result. The change in the NPL definition does not matter at all, as PIMCO, in page 15, defines a non-performing loan as one which is 90 days past due, regardless of its collateral amount. The good Laiki couldn't have impaired the balance sheet by that much either since most of the losses were absorbed by the bad bank. Even in the worst case scenario of BoC obtaining all loans from Laiki, the exclusion of the Greek branches leaves capital needs for the domestic Laiki at less than 1bn. Strangely, the liquidation of Laiki was said to decrease Cyprus's needs by 4.2 billion which is in contrast to the PIMCO report in which the bank required 3.9 billion in total (including the Greek branches).

Concluding, the big question mark here is not if PIMCO over-estimated the capital needs of the banks, but why its numbers when it came to the Cyprus evolution of loans were so far off. If the BoC actually needed 4.8 bn (3.8bn of the haircut plus 1bn from the re-capitalisation) to pass the October stress tests why was the number less than 2 billion (excluding the Greek branches) in the PIMCO report? 

The PIMCO report, even though it did a great job in identifying and analysing the state of the Cyprus banking system did a very peculiar job in forecasting its capital needs. Truth be told, numbers and reports don't really add up.

23 comments:

  1. From @FionaMullenCY I think the answer to your last question is that Pimco did not envisage the shock that then came: 1) Eurogroup approves haircut on ALL depositors 2) Eurozone panic 3) Eurogroup starts to backtrack even before: 4) Parliament rejects haircut on all 4) Banks remain shut (for 12 days in total) 5) We really do nearly fall out of eurozone (I have refs), 5) Final deal: Laiki closed, capital controls, 6) Billions already lost in deposits, 7) everyone in deep shock. Also if u look at numbers BOC had CT1 of >10% before latest share issue. I think this was more about diluting the Rusisn-old shareholder board than the stress tests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you that (almost) nobody saw the shock coming. Still, I do not really believe that the shock alone (with the macroeconomic environment not becoming worse than the adverse scenario - it was actually much milder) can justify a more than 100% increase in capital needs.

      With regards to the BoC share issue: after seeing the macroeconomic scenario on the EBA website I am not really sure that given its high starting base of NPLs, BoC could have passed the stress tests. Even at 10% CT1, it would be very difficult to withstand a further 6.3% drop in GDP (a very unrealistic scenario but still what the bank has to play with). In my opinion, PIMCO had to calculate the needs also needed to pass the coming stress tests.

      Even if for the sake of argument we accept that the PIMCO report should not have considered the stress test and needs were 3.8bn, then PIMCO is about 1bn off, which percentage-wise is more than 25% off target! I don't believe that this would be justifiable as a reasonable margin of error.

      Delete
    2. HOW I GET A LOAN HELP @ 2% INTEREST RATE

      I was not sure of getting a legit loan lender online But when i could not face my Debt any more, my son was on hospital bed for surgery that involve huge money and i also needed some money to refinance and get a good home then i have to seeks for Assistance from friends and when there was no hope any more i decide to go online to seek a loan and i find VICTORIA LAWSON Trust Loan Firm (marianlawson@outlook.com) with 2% interest Rate and applied immediately with my details as directed. Within seven Days of my application She wired my loan amount with No hidden charges and i could take care of my son medical bills, Renew my rent bill and pay off my debt. I will advice every loan seeker to contact VICTORIA LAWSON LOAN Company with marianlawson@outlook.com For easy and safe Transaction

      *Full Name:_________

      *Address:_________

      *Tell:_________

      *loan amount:_________

      *Loan duration:_________

      *Country:_________

      *Purpose of loan:_________

      *Monthly Income:__________

      *Occupation__________

      *Next of kins :_________

      *Email :_________

      Delete
    3. TRUSTED LENDER (LEXIELOANCOMPANY@YAHOO.COM)
      My name is Michael Lee a citizen of Illinois, USA. i have been scammed by 7 different Internet international lender, they all promise to give me a loan after making me pay several fees which yield nothing and amounted to no positive result. i lost my hard earn money and it was a total of 23930USD. One day as i was browsing through the internet with tears on my eye i came across a testimony of man who was also scammed and eventually got linked to a legit loan company called MARTINEZ LEXIE LOAN COMPANY where he finally got his loan, so i decided to contact the same loan company and then told them my story on how i have been scammed by 7 different lenders who did nothing but to course me more pain. I explain to the company by mail and all they told me was to cry no more because i will get my loan in their company and also i have made the right choice of contacting them. I filled the loan application form and proceeded with all that was requested of me and to my greatest surprise my loan was granted to me without further delay and here i am today happy because Martinez Lexie Loan Company HAS GIVEN ME A REASON TO LIVE, so i made a vow to my self that i will keep testifying on the internet on how i got my loan. You are to contact this GODSENT LENDER via Email: Lexieloancompany@yahoo.com OR Text +18168926958

      Delete
  2. From @FionaMullenCY You are probably right. The baseline is in many cases worse than the status quo so far in 2014 (tho not for real estate, which is the biggie).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The adverse scenario predicted a 14% decline in 2013. Actual outcome was less than 10%. Besides, the capital needs were estimated on the adverse not the base scenario

      Delete
  3. You say:
    "In my opinion, PIMCO had to calculate the needs also needed to pass the coming stress tests."

    The upcoming stress tests and the SSM were not envisaged at the time of the PIMCO report

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hence the "in my opinion". Still, as I said in the first comment, a 25% margin of error is not small by any measure.

      Delete
  4. HOW I GET A LOAN HELP @ 2% INTEREST RATE

    I was not sure of getting a legit loan lender online But when i could not face my Debt any more, my son was on hospital bed for surgery that involve huge money and i also needed some money to refinance and get a good home then i have to seeks for Assistance from friends and when there was no hope any more i decide to go online to seek a loan and i find VICTORIA LAWSON Trust Loan Firm (marianlawson@outlook.com) with 2% interest Rate and applied immediately with my details as directed. Within seven Days of my application She wired my loan amount with No hidden charges and i could take care of my son medical bills, Renew my rent bill and pay off my debt. I will advice every loan seeker to contact VICTORIA LAWSON LOAN Company with marianlawson@outlook.com For easy and safe Transaction

    *Full Name:_________

    *Address:_________

    *Tell:_________

    *loan amount:_________

    *Loan duration:_________

    *Country:_________

    *Purpose of loan:_________

    *Monthly Income:__________

    *Occupation__________

    *Next of kins :_________

    *Email :_________

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live in USA Florida and i am a happy woman today? I told my self that any Loan lender that could change my Life and that of my family, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to Them. If you are in need of loan and you are 100% sure to pay back the loan please contact them and please tell them that Mr Alfred Kessinger, Lynn referred you to them. am.invest@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live in UK London and i am a happy man today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness for me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 U.S. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Cindy Giles, that refer you to him. contact Mr. Jenas Pedro ,via email:( jp_loanfirm@hotmail.com )Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. We The Islamic Family of Abdallah, We grant loans to businesses and individuals at a low interest rate and affordable Interest rate of 3%. Contact us by email: Abdallah.afandi@financier.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to DAVID JAMES Loan Company, This is a legit loan Company, formed to help individuals who are in need of financial crises and help them achieve their goals in life.

    Available Loans we offer are,

    1. Personal Loans (Secure and Unsecured)
    2. Business Loans (Secure and Unsecured)
    3. Combination Loan
    4. Consolidation Loan And Many More:

    Interested clients should please send request to our email for application form and terms. Try and see for your self, our wonderful services that does not exceed

    Working days for loan processing and just only (1)hour 35 minutes of loan Transfer.

    EMAIL---[ davidloans760@gmail.com ]

    Warm Regard

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

  10. We are sincere Government well registered and certified private moneylender permitted to render financial assistant to individual and cooperate bodies, ranging from the Amount of $5,000 to $100,000,000 Million Dollars ,Euro and Pounds with long loan repayment period of 1 year to 50 years. Loan Available now are Business, Personal, House,Travel and Student Loans. Apply for a loan today. Its Easy and fast to get at 2% interest rates and monthly installment payments. Check-out this great offer. If you are interested do get back us with these information,Your Name: Address:City:Country:Phone:Amount Needed:Loan Duration: Contact via email.fastneasservice22@muslim.com

    ReplyDelete



  11. Have you been looking for a loan?Do you need an urgent personal or business loan?I received the sum of $3,000.000 some days ago after been scammed of $8500 from a woman claiming to been a loan lender but i thank God today that i got my loan worth $3,000.000.Feel free to contact the company for a genuine financial service. Morris and Company Trust Fund Limited is located in Canada (morristrustfundlimited@hotmail.com) Canada +16477393756 http://www.morristrustfundlimited.com. He is a trust worthy man. Thank you sir.

    ReplyDelete



  12. Have you been looking for a loan?Do you need an urgent personal or business loan?I received the sum of $3,000.000 some days ago after been scammed of $8500 from a woman claiming to been a loan lender but i thank God today that i got my loan worth $3,000.000.Feel free to contact the company for a genuine financial service. Morris and Company Trust Fund Limited is located in Canada (morristrustfundlimited@hotmail.com) Canada +16477393756 He is a trust worthy man. Thank you sir.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi everyone. I saw comments from people who already got their loan from Jenas Pedro and then I decided to apply under their recommendations and just few hours ago I confirmed in my own personal bank account a total amount of $80,000 which I requested for. This is really a great news and I am advising everyone who needs real loan to apply through their email ( jp_loanfirm@hotmail.com ) I am happy now that i have gotten the loan I requested

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have just taken out my first personal loan and i must say i am extremely impressed as to how straightforward the services is. All i had to do was applied and filled out the application form and submit it! I was then told in about 10 minutes that i was accepted and that the funds has been approved and on the way to my bank after submitting the required information’s and i received a loan of $35,000 USD! Extremely impressive. Now i have my own car and also have my own business thanks to Jenas Pedro LOAN FIRM. Apply for your loan today without any stress with Jenas Pedro LOAN FIRM email them now on ( jp_loanfirm@hotmail.com ). Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete